Runtime Error 5
Runtime error 5 appears every time you open Microsoft Office Excel. In such a circumstance following guidelines are very helpful:
- Change Regional and Language Settings
- Load MS Excel in Safe Mode
- Re-register Excel
- Skip MS Excel Startup Tasks
- Fix Excel Configurations
Change Regional and Language Settings
The regional and language settings such as current date-time, timezone can be incorrect. When the date specified in the CMOS settings does not match with the date specified under Regional and Language settings, you start getting runtime error 5.
- Click Start | Control Panel.
- Click Clock, Language and Region | Region and Language.
- A new dialog shall open.
- Under Formats tab select English (India).
- Click Location tab.
- Select your country from Current Location drop down box.
- Click OK.
- Right click on the Date-Time area of your Taskbar. (Extreme right side of the screen)
- Select Adjust Date/ Time.
- In the new dialog click Change date and time under Date and Time tab.
- Select current date-time.
- Click OK.
- Click Change Time Zone button.
- Select your timezone and click OK twice.
Load MS Excel in Safe Mode
In normal mode MS Office Excel runs with several add-ins. Problems with third party add-ins can cause your computer to show runtime error 5. Running Excel with Safe Mode functionality does not run third party add-ins and solves your problem.
- Click the Start button.
- Expand All Programs | Microsoft Office.
- Right click Microsoft Office Excel and select Properties.
- Type Excel.exe /safe in the Start in box under Shortcut tab.
- Click Apply | OK.
Note: Alternatively you may enter following value:
“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office ”Version”\Office”VersionNumber”\Excel.exe” /safe
It seems that there can be problems with the Microsoft Office Excel configuration data which is stored in the Registry. Restore factory data of Excel registration entries as shown below:
- Click Start, point to All Programs | Accessories.
- Right click Command Prompt, select Run as Administrator.
- Type following command-
- Press ENTER
Skip MS Excel Startup Tasks
MS Office Excel loads with custom menu and command bar settings which are stored in a file with .xlb file extension. Problem with these settings can cause MS Excel to show runtime error 5.
- Click Start | All Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Excel.
- Hold down the SHIFT key for 5-10 seconds.
Fix Excel Configurations
MS Office Excel configurations are located in the Registry. Due to some reasons these configurations become corrupt. Resolve all Registry issues to fix runtime error 5.
- Download RegInOut Registry Cleaner.
- Start full Registry scan.
- Fix all the errors detected.
- Total downloads:5231555
- Download Time:2sec on dsl, 2min on dial-up
- Compatibility:Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 2000 32Bit & 64Bit OS Systems
- Support: Yes