RuneScape is a fantasy game that comes with different customizable avatars.
This goal based game from Jagex, occasionally suffers from severe performance glitches. Here are a few tricks you can try out to get around the game dropouts.
Turn Off the Antivirus
The protective shield of your computer’s Antivirus software acts like a double edged sword and affects your computer’s performance. Try temporarily disabling your Antivirus.
- Right-click the Antivirus and select Settings.
- In the new box, click the Excluded Items/ Programs tab.
- Click on Browse button.
- Locate the game executable file in the new dialog.
- Save the changes.
Relaunch the Client
The game might come to a halt and then become completely unplayable. In such cases, the Play button may also get disabled.
- Quit and relaunch the RuneScape client till the game becomes functional.
- Click on Play.
Control the CPU Usage
Sometimes, the game requires higher than normal CPU usage but the computer is already using up most of the memory, hence game performance issues are bound to happen.
- Open the RuneScape Client application.
- Click the Extra tab in the main window.
- Check the following check boxes:
- Low-CPU Usage
- Disable Canvas
Change Process Priority
The priority class of most processes is normal. Change the Java process to higher priority to allocate more CPU, RAM and resources.
- Press Windows Key + X.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Show Details icon.
- Right-click the Java.exe task, select Set Priority | High.
Flush the DNS Configuration
DNS stands for Domain Name System. Try resetting the DNS settings via the Command Prompt.
- Launch the Command Prompt and execute the following command:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- Reboot your computer.
Restart the Router
The constant lag issue also occurs when the user is already logged in through a different IP address. A past gaming session on one of the previous servers wasn’t logged out correctly. Restarting the router might help diagnose the problem.
Delete the Cache
Empty the cache contents to resolve corrupt game file issue.
- Right-click the game shortcut, select Properties.
- Click the Shortcut tab.
- Insert the following path into the Target text box:
- C:\Users\%userprofile%\JagexCache\JagexLauncher\Bin\JagexLauncher.exe runescape
- Click Apply | OK.
Improve the Memory
A minimum of 2GB and 4GB of RAM are required for the game to run properly on WindowsXP and Vista respectively.
Accelerate Graphics Performance
Do you use a slow integrated video card such as Intel GMA? Try unplugging it and buying a decent video card capable to run RuneScape at its optimal performance.
Change the Power Plan
Use the default balanced power plan which enables energy consumption and faster gaming speed.
- Press Windows Key + X, select Power Options.
- Select the Balanced power plan, and then exit the window.
Temporarily Turn Off Firewall Protection
It might be possible that Windows Firewall or any other third party Firewall program you use, may be interfering with the client program. You should temporarily disable the Firewall protection as shown below:
- Type Windows Firewall in the Search Box.
- Open Windows Firewall with Advanced Security from the Search Results.
- On the left hand panel, right-click on Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
- Select Properties.
- Select the Off option in the Domain Profile, Private Profile and Public Profile tabs.
- Click OK.
Prevent DEP Conflicts
Add an exception for RuneScape’s executable files to the Data Execution Prevention, a security feature in Windows.
- Right-click This PC, select Properties.
- Click Advanced system settings.
- Click Advanced tab > Settings (Performance) > Data Execution Prevention tab.
- Select the Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select option.
- Click Add.
- Go to the game installation directory, and locate the following two Executable Files (.exe):
- Click OK | OK.